Is laser surgery better than the traditional surgery for Piles?
Piles or Haemorrhoids are swollen veins that develop around the anus or inside. Although there are various ways to cure piles and conventional surgeries are still used, laser surgery has now become the popular option for both physicians as well as patients. The doctor usually recommends a surgical procedure to shrink or remove piles after having tried primary treatment like medication and eating fibrous foods.
There are many treatments for piles surgery, the most common of which is traditional surgery. However, laser surgery is becoming more popular due to its shorter recovery time and lower risk of complications. In a study comparing the two types of surgery, laser surgery was found to be more effective in treating piles. Patients who underwent laser surgery had a 97% cure rate, compared to 86% for those who underwent traditional surgery. Additionally, laser surgery patients had a shorter recovery time (2 days vs. 7 days) and were less likely to experience postoperative complications (4% vs. 18%).
The laser allows the surgeon to pinpoint the precise area that needs treatment. Using it allows for a precise, targeted treatment of the area that needs attention, without having to disturb tissues that were not damaged. Patients often opt for laser surgery as opposed to conventional surgery because there is little bleeding involved and the recovery time is faster.
Here are some of the benefits of laser surgery experienced by the patients:
- The degree of pain is way less as compared to other procedures
- Cancels out the need for hospitalization as the patient can get discharged on the same day.
- During the surgery, the blood vessels in the anal region are sealed off by the laser causing minimum blood loss.
- The chances of developing any other medical complications or medical wounds are minimum.
- The surgery usually does not require general anaesthesia and the wound heals faster
- As the surgeon’s task is not very complicated or risky, it ensures greater precision while operating.
It is wise for a patient suffering from piles to opt for a laser surgery with all the above given pros.